Nick Martin Talks Inspirations, Armada, Michael Jackson & More [Exclusive Interview]
Nick Martin has been soundtracking your club experiences for two decades. 2017 is the year the Nick Martin takes it up in gear. He recently signed with Armada Music, home to Armin van Buuren and many more of the world’s elite dance music talent.
We at FITA had the pleasuring of speaking to him about being the newest signee to Armada, his history and influences, dream collabs, and much more in this exclusive interview.
1. What’s the history of Nick Martin?
I went from a Greek local hero DJ jumping into the international scene in 2014 and now headlining major clubs around the world like Liv Miami, Opium Barcelona, etc.
2. How do you prepare and what get’s you most amped during a performance? I never stop preparing.
I make playlists all the time download as much music as possible making lots of my own edits and mashups to be able respond fast on the fly to any crowd globally.
3. What is your favorite performance to date? What’s the craziest party you’ve ever been to? What’s the furthest from home you’ve traveled for a show?
The farthest I have traveled is to Green Valley Brazil, amazing show and so worth the travel. I Haven’t played in Australia yet, when I do it will officially be the farthest.
The Craziest party in a club is definitely Solomun in Ibiza.
4. What are the Top 5 songs on your ipod/that you listen to everyday?
Tove Lo “Cool Girl”, The Chainsmokers “All We Know”, Dj Snake & Justin Bieber “Let Me Love You, Axwell Ingrosso “I Love You”, Nick Martin feat. Natalola “Shackles”
5. What’s your Top 5 movies?
Wolf of Wall Street, Hang Over, Project X, Taken, Goodfellas
6. If you could sing one song on ‘American Idol’, what would it be and why?
I cant sing to save my my life but if i had to it would be any U2 song! Best band ever!
7. Do you prefer to make originals or remixes? Favorite original or remix?
Originals! That said, I have done a remix of my new song “Shackles” that will drop shortly.
8. If you found a lamp with a genie inside and he granted you 3 wishes, what would they be?
No war! Billboard No1 on the Top 100. Sold out shows in every city!
9. Who or what do you look to for inspiration?
This never stops! My biggest inspiration so far has been the Swedes and especially Axwell. I love what the Chainsmokers have done and I really believe that band like U2 and Coldplay inspiring to many producers and musicians!
10. If you could collab with anyone in the industry (dead or alive), who would it be?
Michael Jackson, Adele, Avicii
11.What are you currently working on? Any secret collabs or projects?
My next single almost done and will have an amazing feature. Re collabs i am working on a club record with another Producer/DJ but am keeping that under wraps for now ;)
12. How is it to be the newest signee of Armada? Its great!
Armada is a great company and I am confident that we are on the right path to do great things together.
13. Anything that you’re particularly excited about for 2017?
I have been the opening act for The Chainsmokers in Europe and Asia is next. Playing with them is amazing cause they are truly on top and I get to see first hand how that feels. Otherwise another year where we build the Nick Martin story.
14. What are your future plans?
Music, Music, Hits, Hits! Great shows in great cities globally. To me it is all about the music and the audience.
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be?
Stamina to the point I don’t need to sleep. Although I love to have a good nights sleep but I never feel I have enough time to do everything.
In the end my philosophy is that as you only have so much time, use it wisely!