Parisian producer Uppermost has been quite prolific with churning out tracks – 6 albums worth, to be exact – and he’s returned to the club scene with 6-track ‘Impact’ EP and dropped a video for the title track. We at FITA were fortunate enough to speak with Uppermost about the new EP, future plans, creating a music video and more in this exclusive interview.
VIDEO + INTERVIEW:
1) Who is Uppermost? What’s the story behind your name?
Back in 2007, I decided to call the project Uppermost because of the symbol of perpetual evolution it represents. Since there’ll always be a way to get higher in quality, I never should stop practicing.
2) What are your Top 5 songs right now?
1. Julian Perreta – I Cry
2. A-Trak – Parallel Lines
3. Norman Doray – Falling For You
4. Mike Posner – I Took A Pill In Ibiza (Seeb Remix)
5. Flume – Helix
3) If you could collaborate with anyone, dead or alive, who would it be and why?
I’d love to work with Alesso one day; he’s been a huge inspiration for me on both personal and musical levels.
4) What/who has been your biggest inspiration/motivation for the new Impact EP?
I was really excited to discover the genres that were leading the charts, Future House, Future Bass, Tropical House… Everything was pretty new to me since I had spent a few years away from club music. I felt really inspired by guys like Tchami, Disclosure, Calvin Harris…
5) Are there any unreleased tracks that didn’t make the EP?
Yes, there are a few tracks that I chose not to finish, and also two demos that I decided not to release. Both were experimentations of Future Bass music.
6) Tell us about your new music video for ‘Impact’.
The music video for ‘Impact’ follows the story of ‘Hold Me Up’. My goal was to explore the powerful instinctive energy that can take control of our bodies when we let go. I really wanted to use dance and physical expression as a central point for both music videos.
7) Do you prefer to make originals or remixes? Favorite original or remix?
I think I like making remixes the most, because somehow it boosts my creativity. I’m really happy of the remix I did for Adele’s “Hello”.
8) What’s a typical day in the life of Uppermost like?
I wake up late because I work almost every night until the early morning. Then I have a meal and start working on music again until the afternoon. Then depending on the mood I can go jogging, or catching up with friends, or playing video games. Then I go back to making music.
9) What gets you most amped during a live set?
It’s probably the moment when I’m starting to play a track that I know people are going to love, when I know I’m about to share something crazy with the crowd.
10) What has been your favorite show to date? What’s the craziest party you’ve ever been to?
I think one of my favorite shows was Inox Festival two years ago, the crowd went crazy and I think I played one of my best DJ sets that day..
11) What are your future plans?
I’m currently working on my next single for this fall. Many good things are coming including new remixes and collaborations so I can’t wait!
12) Would you rather be a dragon or have a dragon
I’d rather be a dragon with a lion’s heart.