Brillz Talks Twonk Juice, Touring, ‘KABOOSH’ + More [Exclusive Interview]
Turning heads with his trapped-out blend of hip-hop and EDM, Brillz’s interest in music stems from his history in the dance music scene. While on his #TwonkDiNation tour, we at FITA were able to sit down with him at Webster Hall in NYC. We spoke about his history, inspirations, e-juice, and much more in this exclusive interview.
MUSIC + INTERVIEW:
1) What is the history & meaning behind your name?
It’s LA abbreviated slang for Brilliant.
2) What has been your favorite show to date? What stop(s) on the Twonk Di Nation tour are you looking forward to the most?
We just sold out DC tonight and it’s only the fifth show of the tour! But it was fucking crazy though, amazing vibes and energy from the packed crowd. Honestly this is my first bus tour so I’m looking forward to the whole thing, getting to play my music for both the fans in tiny towns and big cities.
3) Who/what inspires you?
My fiance inspires me a lot, she’s an amazing artist and human. I’m also inspired by my partial alien DNA and Arcturian code symbols
4) What was the inspiration behind “Acid Trippin?”
5) Do you prefer to make originals or remixes?
Probably originals, but I do love remixing too. I use my background playing guitar and drums to help me with composing originals, and with remixes I like to take what the original producer has created and elevate it to a different level – give it a new life you know?
6) Besides your own music, what other artists do you like to play in your sets? Favorite track to play live?
My fav producers right now are LAXX and Nghtmre, and of course Diplo and Skrillex have been killing it with their Jack U project!
7) You have collaborated with Diplo, DJ Craze, Willy Joy and others, so if you could collab with anyone (dead or alive), who would it be and why?
I wish I could make a full Wu Tang album with all the members and collaborate with RZA on production, just make some grimey street bangers with the legends.
8) What is the inspiration behind Twonk Juice? What can we expect from that? Do you plan on branching out beyond just music and e-liquid?
I’m big on vaping so I thought, why not make my own line and put my own spin on a product I use every day? The homies over at Drip Club gave me a lot of creative freedom to go ahead and design my own bottle and taste. I also have my own clothing line at http://twonk.la/
9) What is the official definition of #KABOOSH?
You gotta ask Jimmy about that! He was telling us a joke, and in the joke when the genie granted this guy a wish he would say “kabooosh!” He never got to the punchline because we just kept yelling kabooosh. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbpHqj4yOWk&feature=youtu.be)
10) As many artists nowadays are branching out into many different subgenres, what are your plans regarding genre expanding?
If kabooosh became a genre I’d expand on that shit ASAP!
11) How do you feel about the growth of EDM? Where do you see it going?
You know, I’m so into the “growth” cause the more popular and mainstream something gets, the more the underground rebels against it. And then that creates a new wave of whatever is gonna sweep the rug from under the scene next. You’ll find me there where the next big thing is poppin off.
12) What are your future plans? EP/Album? Etc?
Remixes for the Geekin EP about to drop in early 2016!
13) If you could have any super power, what would it be?
I wanna be able to turn into a dog, and hang out with my dog, as a dog. They are always in the moment, and we would just chill and chew on some bones and do other dog things.
1) What is the idea behind this tour?
The idea is to bring the squad to as many cities as we can and twonk the f out
2) How is it on tour?
The best time ever ..except for missing Bae
3) Do you guys prank each other?
Nah, but we talk mad shit to each other 24-7
4) Who has the worst habits on tour?
We’re next level humans, our habits are on point
5) How do you have fun?
This group chat that we have going is insane! Making memes of each other, face swaps, fart jokes, dick jokes, it’s just absurd. Endless laughs.