HIIO Collab w/ Thomas Gold On “Take Me Home,” Talk Touring & New Music [Exclusive Interview]
Colombia’s Ortzy and Argentina’s Nico Hamuy are HIIO; the new elements of house music. The duo is an exhilarating collaborative partnership of South America’s two most exciting and talented DJs/Producers. Today, we introduce them to you with their newest release, “Take Me Home,” with Thomas Gold and Harrison. Earlier this summer, they released an epic music video for it. We also at FITA got to chat with the guys about their history, their dream collab, new music, and much more in an exclusive interview.
1) What’s the history of HIIO & the meaning behind your name?
When we first started as a duo we chose HIIO because the “H” represented Nico’s last name (Hamuy) and the “O” represented Orzy’s first name. The roman numerals “II” in the middle represents us as a duo making it HIIO (pronounced H20 at the time). As we became more recognized in the industry by major artists such as Dada Life and Tiesto, they kept pronouncing the name as “He-ohh” on their radio shows. It got to the point that we had to eventually change the pronunciation to just that – “He-ohh.”
2) How do you guys prepare and what get’s you most amped during a performance?
We always make sure we have the most current music available for our sets. Always going through promos and of course we like to drop our own tracks during a show. Definitely the energy of the crowd gets us amped! It’s such an adrenaline rush to see the people go crazy out there!
3) You’re currently on tour, so what city/state/country is the craziest?
Every city we tour in has its own crazy people! Some we can think of are for sure the crowds at Tomorrowland Belgium, Tomorrowland Brasil, Creamfields Buenos Aires and Mysteryland Chile!
4) What are the Top 5 songs on your iPod/that you listen to everyday?
1. Guns N Roses – November Rain
2. Elton John – Tiny Dancer
3. Bon Joby – Livin On A Prayer
4. Rolling Stones – Angie
5. Alanis Morissette – Thank You
5) What are your Top 5 movies?
1. The Pursuit of Happyness
2. The GodFather (Trilogy)
3. Almost FamouS
4. Now You See Me
5. My Name Is Sam
6) You have released originals, remixes, and mashups – which of the 3 is your favorite to make? Do you like to incorporate many mashups in your live sets? If so, why?
Originals! The process of producing a track from the beginning stages, and many many hours in between, is so rewarding once you finally drop it for the first time. To watch the crowds reaction is the best feeling! We drop a few mashups here and there, but we mostly like to use originals during our live sets.
7) You have gained support from Hardwell, Fedde Le Grand, and Tiesto to name a few, so who/what has been your main inspiration/motivation?
These guys are always so great to be working with. Our main inspiration and motivation is that feeling you get when you step onto the stage, and thousands of people are singing along to the words of the track you made. It’s all worth it for that moment.
8) If you could collaborate with anyone (dead or alive), who would it be and why?
Michael Jackson! That would be amazing! I don’t think we need to explain this one! Haha
9) Being from South America you must travel a lot, so what is the furthest from home you’ve traveled for a show?
When we played at Tomorrowland in Belgium! It took us almost 20 hours to get there.
10) You recently released “Take Me Home” with Thomas Gold and Harrison, can you talk about the track and how it was to work with Thomas & Harrison.
It was a beautiful experience for us, Thomas and Harrison have been our friends for a long time now and we always wanted to make something with them separately. Once we received the acapella idea for Take Me Home, we thought… Thomas will love this! So we talked with him and yeah, he loved it! So we sent some ideas for the instrumental and then he came with another and once we decided the best ideas, we started sending emails back and forth for weeks/months until we all felt the track was perfect!
11) What are you working on now?
Right now, we’re working on 2 progressive house tracks with huge vocals. We also have 1 groovy/house track which is more so Kryder style, and 1 collaboration with Sevag – all of them are originals.
12) How do you feel about the growth of EDM? Where do you see it going? Do you want EDM to be on mainstream radio?
It’s spreading like wild fire! Its now become a global phenomenon. It will continue to grow and the sounds will evolve for sure. We don’t necessarily need it to be on the mainstream radio for people to enjoy. It keeps things special when they see us live!
13) Anything that you’re particularly excited about for 2015?
We have a new track coming out on August 24th called Vortex on Dirty Dutch Records.
We’re excited to get some of our new stuff out, so our fans can enjoy the new music which we’re in love with.
14) What are your future plans?
Right now we are planing 2 huge tours. 1 around Asia for the end of the year and the other for Central America.
15) If you could have any super power, what would it be?
Ortzy: To be invisible!
Nico: To move things with my mind!