Dada Life Talk Stolen Laptop, Inspirations, Dada Land + More [Exclusive Interview]
Dada Life is a Swedish DJ duo consisting of Olle Cornéer and Stefan Engblom. These guys make some of the most energetic electronic music out there! Also, they hold a Guinness World Record for the world’s largest pillow fight at a Dada Land Compound event in Chicago. While on their Dada Land Compound Tour, we caught up with them at the Brooklyn show to ask them a few questions and find out more about the banana loving Swedes.
Exclusive Interview + Dada Life Tracks:
1) What’s the history of Dada Life & the meaning behind your name?
”We just want people to live a ‘Dada Life’! You can do it in tons of way so we don’t want to guide people too much. But it’s about losing yourself.”
2) How do you guys prepare and what get’s you most amped during a performance?
”We prepare a lot. Pick tracks, rig our toys and make sure the pillows are great as weapons. Then in the end stuff always happens when we’re around. We’re clumsy and spontaneous. A bad combo.”
3) What is your favorite performance to date? What’s the craziest party you’ve ever been to?
”Definitely Dada Land the Voyage in southern california. We arrived in a hot air balloon. We also played a one hour set of only classics. That was amazing, can’t wait to do it again this year!”
4) What are the Top 5 songs on your iPod/that you listen to everyday?
”It changes all the time. Right now I love Panda Bear and the Swedish band Winhill/Losehill.”
5) What are your Top 5 movies?
”Can’t really remember all the ones we’ve seen. We also have really different taste. Stefan loves the big bombastic stuff, while I (Olle) prefer slower dramas. We don’t watch the same movies! Haha.”
6) Who/what inspires you?
”Loud noises in all forms. If it’s rhythmical it’s a bonus!”
7) If you could collab with anyone (dead or alive), who would it be and why?
”Little Richard. One word from his mouth is like the heaviest drop you’ve ever experienced!”
8) What’s the furthest from home you’ve traveled for a show?
”Probably Australia. That’s pretty far.”
9) Festival season is quickly coming up, which one(s) are you looking forward to the most?
”I have no idea which ones are confirmed so I’m just going to say Dada Land the Voyage!!!”
10) What are you working on now?
”New music, all the time. We’re working on a new song that we have just started to play on our shows. We think it’s done, but you never know. We need to try it out a few times first.”
11) Any updates on the lost/stolen laptop?
”Apparently the Dada Death-guys never had it. I think it’s lost forever. For us, that whole thing is over.”
12) Do you guys want to be on mainstream radio? Do you have a song on their album they think will be it?
”Everybody wants their music to be heard by as many people as possible, and that includes us. But we’re not ready to compromise with our vision of how our music should sound.”
13) Anything that you’re particularly excited about for 2015?
”Right now the Dada Land Compound tour! We have already played a few cities and it’s been amazing times!”
14) How do you feel about the growth of EDM? Where do you see it going?
”No idea. It will never go away, but I kind of hope it will go away from the mainstream right now. It’s destroying the feeling of the scene.”
15) What are your future plans?
”Buy an island and declare it as the sovereign nation of Dada Land.”
16) If you could have any super power, what would it be?
”Being able to sleep everywhere and in an instant. Handy as a DJ.”